Monday, August 6, 2007

Clearing the Cache

One of the foremost bloggers in Singapore which I hold in esteem is Mr Wang. His socio-political-scientific blog is a refreshing fount of insight and I strongly recommend people to read it. In a few of his posts Mr Wang talked about meditation and prayer. Meditation was something I used to do when I was in my teens. Funny isn't it? I do things in reverse order haha. What I can affirm is that meditation does indeed produce a multitude of benefits. Like a computer , our brain interprets the world around us using signals triggered by our sensory receptors in our sense organs. In meditation we slow our breathing rate, heart rate, shut off most of our senses, clear our thoughts and relax our muscles. Think of the brain as a browser, during the day or even the night it goes over many webpages and downloaded lots of files etc. Meditation clears our cache. It produces an inner calm, a center of peace and this notion has been written by many gurus. One can think rationally and clearly when he/she is calm. The clearing of gibberish thoughts can also improve one's memory. And this is just a novice induction into meditation. Some forms can even allow a person to self-heal better, produce body heat to sustain one through extreme cold or even deep hibernation. On the other hand prayer is a form of directed thought. Thought with direction is extremely powerful.

Think in terms of quantum mechanics. At this level , things are broken down into wave functions and probability distributions of where the particles are. Particles are also dual-natured having both particle characteristics and waveform characteristics. Its all about energy levels, vibrations and rotations of the particle-wave entities. Material existence is such, basically frequency is the basis for many things. Consider this. During meditation the brain gives out alpha-waves 8-12Hz(low frequency) and gamma waves 26-40Hz(higher frequency) when we are involved in higher mental activities. One may argue what such relatively low frequencies can do. Well there is such a thing called constructive wave interference. When waves of similar frequencies converge they get amplified. Take for example a Christian prayer session or a Buddhist prayer session. People's brains are affected by the music and chanting, so its possible that they are emitting oscillations/frequencies which are highly similar. Imagine how strong the energies will be when the crowd is hundreds or thousands strong. This could be a possible explanation to why people often report supernatural events occurring like miracle heals and seeing lights or hearing divine music. Is it really that supernatural? Perhaps like what Mr Wang says, science has yet to catch up yet. Whether the amplified brainwaves affect the environment I can't say for sure without experimentations, but in my personal context fervent prayer has certainly helped me in those desperate moments when I really felt I was going to black out for exams or my brain was overloaded from studying. I'm a free thinker btw.

Writing about this I think I should go back to my meditation practice again. Seeing now that I'm past 30 and beginning to notice the loss in my mental sharpness. I stopped the practice gradually after O Levels. A funny incident happened in my secondary school , a group of school bullies came up to me while I was meditating before assembly, ridiculed me and jokingly asked for 4D numbers. Looking back, its amusing how shallow some people can be. I guess I also felt weird and out of place by meditating. Kids my age then probably weren't reading books titled like Beyond Supernature. Can't help it I'm a geek by nature.